Requisition ID: 16563
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
As part of the ongoing strategic work of the Corporate Communications department, the Social Media Coordinator provides specialized work in coordinating and monitoring social media sites and developing and recommending social media standards.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
This position reports to the Communications Manager - Media in Corporate Communications; and works closely with the other Communications Managers and program social media leads in client departments, providing advisory and support services across the City.
- In collaboration with client departments and the Corporate Communications management team, evaluates social media requirements; advises clients on content and presentation; defines process and required resources; recommends solutions and alternatives;
- Monitors social media channels through the City’s main Hootsuite account for content compliance with editorial guidelines and standards, usability and accessibility; recommends enhancements as appropriate;
- Provides information and guidance on corporate standards to staff and consultants engaged in social media channels; provides or recommends staff training as appropriate; provides front-line help desk support in troubleshooting and responding to social media channel problems;
- Assists in posting engaging content; provides a single tone and voice for City social media presence;
- Assists in onboarding new social media accounts. This includes working with Managers to identify account objectives, assessing staff ability to post, setting up accounts, organizing passwords, and training staff as needed.
- Liaises with technical specialists and the web team on technical and operational processes related to social media platform integration and works with same on the resolution of development and support issues
- Organizes meetings for the CoV social media community of practice
- Researches, tests, assesses and recommends best practices, trends, new standards and tools related to social media, usability and accessibility; develops and recommends standards and tools; re-evaluates standards based on new developments in social media; stays current on social media trends.
Analysis and reporting
- Assists in benchmarking and tracking effectiveness of social media campaigns & gathering data for regular reporting;
- Researches, tracks analytics, and prepares reports on project/issue-specific social media activity;
- Recommends useful metrics & uses appropriate tools to track reputation/sentiments and analyze & deliver key insights to managers;
- Monitors/tracks brand-related social media activity and
responds in a timely manner to ensure and maintain positive
- Provides graphic design support for social media channels and other online environments; designs graphic elements and integrates images; develops templates for client departments
- Ensures the web standards developed by the Web Team are maintained across all of the City’s online presence.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of an educational program (certificate or diploma) in a field related to communications, journalism or marketing
- 3 or more years’ experience in social media coordination, web writing, digital graphic design, public engagement
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The successful candidate must have:
- Strong experience, on top of current trends, and active posting with standard social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube) and demonstrated passion for social media as a whole;
- Extremely personable and engaging, able to project a personality through online channels;
- Strong and engaging writing skills, passion for creating interesting and engaging web content;
- Strong digital design skills; creative flair, originality and a strong visual sense
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task
- Familiarity with content management systems, web analytics preferred
- Experience in training an asset
Other requirements include:
- Knowledge of Hootsuite Enterprise, Hootsuite University graduate.
- Experience of other media / social media monitoring tools considered an asset;
- Knowledge of local government;
- Strong computer and graphic software knowledge including Adobe inDesign, Adobe Photoshop, web page editing, or equivalent computer applications;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of inter-disciplinary work teams, and to work within defined timelines is essential;
- Able to take initiative, but accepting of feedback and guidance
- Experience working with multicultural communities would be an asset.
- Second language (Simplified Chinese, Punjabi) an asset
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-024: $36.45 to $43.04 per hour
Application Close: February 21, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.